Starting or buying a small business
Starting or buying a business can be an exciting time, but you need to be prepared. It's a long-term, and potentially risky, commitment. You need to be able to manage your time, people and finances well.
You need to understand your legal, financial and tax obligations. You also need to make sure you’re complying with the rules and regulations that govern your industry.
Here are some other places you can go for helpful information
Your local council
Your local council should have Economic Development officers. They can can help you with business start-up advice and support.
Your local Business Enterprise Centre
Business Enterprise Centres Australia is the nation’s largest network of low cost business programs.
Here are two that may be able to help you:
Northern Adelaide – Polaris Business and Innovation Centre
Call 8260 8205 to make an appointment with a business advisor. For more information visit Polaris Centre
Small Business Contact Service
The Small Business Contact Service is a free phone service. It can link you to small business information, advice and services. Phone 1300 142 820
Australian Business Licence and Information Service
Every business has an individual set of rules and regulations it must observe. The rules depend on what it does, where it is and what it sells.
You can get a complete list of the rules and regulations you will need to observe at Ablis
The business.gov.au website can help you think through some of the things you need to consider before starting a business. This includes:
- Do you know where to find advice and support?
- Do you know when your business is a hobby?
- Do you know what events, networks and seminars are happening near you?
- Have you started planning for your business?
- Have you written your business plan and marketing plan?
- Have you considered your other plans such as a social media plan, export or import plan, succession plan and emergency response?
- Do you know how to obtain finance and accounting?
- Do you know which business structure suits your business?
- Have you considered starting as an independent contractor?
Find out more about starting or buying a business at business.gov.au